Oklahoma City Walmart Slip and Fall Lawyer
When you give a company like Walmart your hard-earned business, you expect its stores to be safe and well-maintained. Unfortunately, many managers and store owners decide to cut costs and save money by skimping on regular property maintenance, leading to cluttered, hazardous conditions which can easily cause accidental falls to occur.
If you or someone you love was injured at Walmart in Oklahoma City, you and your loved ones may be able to recover compensation to help out with your medical bills, losses in earnings, and other expenses related to your accident. The personal injury lawyers of Hasbrook & Hasbrook can help. Our skilled and knowledgeable legal team brings more than 75 years of combined experience to each case we handle, and through our persistence, tenacity, and attention to detail, we have obtained favorable results for numerous clients suffering from a wide array of injury types. To start exploring your family’s legal options in a free and private consultation, call our law offices at (405) 698-3040 today.
Liability for Slip and Fall Accidents at Walmart and Other Businesses
Premises liability is an area of personal injury law which involves injuries occurring on residential and commercial properties, including those belonging to Walmart and its subsidiaries. Stated simply, the idea behind premises liability is that businesses can sometimes be held legally responsible for injuries to their customers and visitors. However, in order for a business to be held liable, the slip and fall accident must have occurred because of negligence.
In the context of personal injury law, negligence means that a person or a company either failed to do something it should have done, or did something which it should not have done, leading to a foreseeable and preventable death or injury. If an employee or business had reason to know of an existing or developing safety hazard, yet failed to take the necessary and appropriate actions to repair or cordon off the hazard, that person or company may be liable for any harm which results.
Many slip and fall accidents are caused by negligent property maintenance, which can allow dangerous conditions to develop inside and/or outside of a store. Some common examples of property hazards caused by negligent maintenance include:
- Cracked or broken stairs or flooring.
- Cracked or broken walkways or pavement in the parking lot/parking garage.
- Defective and malfunctioning escalators.
- Dim lighting which makes it difficult to see where a person is walking.
- Leaks and spills which aren’t indicated by a warning sign.
- Loose carpeting which hasn’t been fastened down properly.
- Loose, wobbly support railings and banisters.
- Slippery, waxed floors which aren’t indicated by a warning sign.
- Uneven floor tiles.
- Unsecured wires, cords, and cables.
Compensation for Common Personal Injuries Caused by Accidental Falls
Even when they involve low speeds and short distances, accidental falls still have the potential to cause permanently disabling and catastrophic injuries. For example, the CDC reports that accidental falls are the number one leading cause of traumatic brain injury (TBI) in the United States, accounting for over 40% of TBI cases resulting in hospitalization or death from 2006 to 2010. This already alarming percentage shoots even higher for certain demographics. Falls accounted for about 55% of TBI cases in children aged zero to 14 years old, and more than 80% of TBI cases among seniors aged 65 or older. TBI is one of the most devastating and life-altering injuries a person can sustain, with the potential to cause effects and complications including:
- Chronic headaches and chronic pain.
- Depression, anxiety, and chronic insomnia.
- Difficulty retaining information and forming memories.
- Difficulty speaking and communicating clearly.
- Fecal or urinary incontinence.
- Intellectual disability.
- Muscle weakness or paralysis.
While prevalent, TBI is far from being the only type of injury which can be caused by a serious slip and fall accident at Walmart. Other common injuries resulting from accidental slips include, but are not limited to:
- Broken bones, which often occur in the wrists and hands as people attempt to break their fall. Among elderly individuals, hip fractures are common. Different types of bone fractures include:
- Buckled fractures
- Compound fractures
- Greenstick fractures
- Oblique fractures
- Simple fractures
- Stress fractures
- Transverse fractures
- Facial injuries, such as broken noses and cracked or chipped teeth.
- Hand injuries and wrist injuries, such as sprains and torn ligaments.
- Permanent scarring and disfigurement, which can be particularly traumatic for children and teenagers.
- Spinal cord injuries (SCI), which frequently cause irreversible paralysis. Paralysis from the waist down is called paraplegia, while full-body paralysis is called quadriplegia or tetraplegia.
Rely on An Experienced Oklahoma Personal Injury Lawyer
If you, your spouse, or one of your family members fell at a Walmart in Oklahoma City and suffered an injury as a result, you should talk to an experienced attorney about getting compensated for your surgery bills and other costs. To set up a free, confidential, no-obligation consultation, call the Oklahoma slip and fall lawyers of Hasbrook & Hasbrook at (405) 698-3040. There’s no such thing as having too many questions – that’s exactly what our team is here to help you with.