Oklahoma City Uber/Lyft Accident Lawyer
Uber, Lyft, and similar ridesharing services have not been around very long, meaning many state legislatures are still developing case law involving these types of companies. Likewise, not all personal injury attorneys who deal with standard car accidents will have experience with how victims are compensated when they suffer injuries as passengers, drivers, or even as pedestrians struck by an Uber or Lyft vehicle.
If you or your loved one suffered an injury in a crash involving a ridesharing service, a skilled Oklahoma City Uber/Lyft accident lawyer could help advocate for your rights regardless of the specific circumstances that led to your accident. Contact a dedicated car accident attorney today to arrange for an initial appointment.
Liable Parties in Uber and Lyft Vehicle Accidents
There are a number of different people and entities who could potentially bear liability for causing an Uber or Lyft accident. Some of the most common parties a seasoned attorney might try to hold accountable for such a wreck include but are not limited to:
- The specific commercial ridesharing company responsible for hiring a negligent driver
- The driver themselves, or their insurer
- A third party involved in the accident, such as another driver, motorcyclist, bicyclist, pedestrian, or other party, who caused the collision through their negligence
- A commercial entity other than Uber or Lyft employing a driver who collided with a ridesharing vehicle
- Another passenger in an Uber or Lyft vehicle
It is also important to note that even though ridesharing companies like Uber and Lyft typically require drivers and passengers to sign agreements absolving these companies of liability, it is possible these commercial entities could still be held responsible depending on the circumstances of the accident. This is especially true when the company’s actions might constitute extreme negligence, such as when their driver has a very poor driving record or has been involved in multiple previous accidents as an Uber or Lyft driver.
Factors Courts Consider in Uber and Lyft Car Accident Cases
Even though the case law dealing with Uber and Lyft accidents is somewhat unsettled, there are several relevant factors Oklahoma City courts may consider when determining liability for a car accident involving a ride-share app like Uber or Lyft. Some of these factors may include:
- Whether the driver was on duty when the accident occurred, whether they were transporting a passenger or driving to pick-up a passenger
- Whether the at-fault party is adequately insured
- Whether the driver of the Uber or Lyft is considered a contractor or an employee of the company
- Whether the commercial company acted with gross negligence, such as by hiring a known drunk driver
A skilled Uber/Lyft accident lawyer in Oklahoma City could investigate the circumstances of a particular accident and determine how and to whom legal liability might apply.
What an Oklahoma City Uber/Lyft Car Accident Attorney Could Do to Help
Regardless of how a crash involving a ridesharing vehicle came about, a reliable Oklahoma City Uber/Lyft accident lawyer could help you seek compensation. You may be eligible to receive restitution for a variety of damages, including compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other costs. Reach out today to schedule a consultation and start discussing potentially effective legal strategies.