How a Del City Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You
Our Del City personal injury lawyers can assist after an injury due to someone else’s negligence. We can help with:
- Claim Evaluation: We review all aspects of your case and determine the value of your claim based on the severity of injuries, lost income, other losses, and our prior case experience.
- Compensation Negotiation: We negotiate with the at-fault party’s insurance company for the optimal settlement.
- Legal Representation: We represent your interests and defend your rights if your case goes to court.
- Support and Guidance: We assist throughout the process, offering emotional support and professional advice.
Our work allows you to focus on your medical recovery while we manage the legal complexities.
- Seek Medical Attention: The first step in filing a personal injury insurance claim is to seek the immediate medical attention you need for your injuries. It is essential to document your injuries and receive proper treatment.
- Gather Evidence: Collect all relevant evidence related to your accident and injuries. This may include photographs of the accident scene, witness statements, medical records, and other documentation supporting your claim.
- Notify Insurance Company: Contact the insurance company as soon as possible to report the accident and initiate the claims process. Provide them with all the necessary information, including details of the accident, injuries sustained, and any other relevant documentation.
- Consult an Attorney: Consult a lawyer whose firm focuses on personal injury cases. They can guide you in navigating the claims process, negotiating with insurance companies, and protecting your rights.
- Document Expenses: Keep track of all expenses related to your injury, including medical bills, prescription costs, transportation expenses, and any other out-of-pocket expenses. This documentation will be crucial in calculating your claim’s value.
- Cooperate with Insurance Adjuster: An insurance adjuster will be assigned to assess the damages and negotiate a settlement after filing your claim. Cooperate with the adjuster by providing requested documentation and answering any questions they may have.
- Negotiate a Settlement: Work with your attorney to negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company. They will help determine the value of your claim based on factors such as medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and any long-term effects of the injury.
- Consider Mediation or Lawsuit: If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiation, you may need to consider alternative dispute resolution methods such as mediation. If all else fails, a lawsuit may be necessary to seek compensation for your injuries.
- Follow Legal Deadlines: Be aware of the statute of limitations in Oklahoma for personal injury claims. Generally, you have two years from the accident date to file a lawsuit. Failing to meet this deadline results in your claim being dismissed.
- Review Settlement Offer: If a settlement is reached, carefully review the terms and conditions before accepting. Once you get a payment, you generally waive your right to pursue further legal action.
- Receive Compensation: If your claim is successful, you will receive compensation for your injuries and damages. This should include reimbursement for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and any other losses you have incurred.
Types of Personal Injury Cases Handled by Del City Attorneys
- Car Accidents
- Slip and Fall Incidents
- Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Uber Accidents
- Premises Liability
Qualities to Look For Before Hiring a Lawyer
- Experience and Expertise: They should have a strong track record in personal injury law. A lawyer who handles every type of case, from family law to wills and trusts, is less likely to get a fair settlement offer than a lawyer who takes personal injury cases to trial.
- Trial Experience: Find out if the lawyer actually has jury trial experience instead of a “settlement mill” law firm.
- Communication Skills: Assess if the lawyer clearly communicates with you on all of your questions.
- Compensation Negotiation Skills: Ask what their negotiation process is.
How Long Does the Average Personal Injury Case Take to Resolve in Del City?
The length of a personal injury case can vary depending on several factors. Simple cases where liability is clear, and injuries are not severe may be resolved within a few months. However, complex cases involving significant injuries, multiple parties, or disputed liability can take several years to reach a resolution. Additionally, the willingness of both parties to negotiate and the court’s schedule can also impact the timeline. An exact timeframe varies on a case-by-case basis. If you are already through with medical treatment, your attorney should be able to compile all of your records and bills and provide a demand letter to the insurance company within a couple of weeks. After that, the insurance company should respond within two weeks with an offer.
What Should I Do if I Am Unsatisfied With the Services My Personal Injury Attorney provided?
Discuss concerns with your personal injury attorney if unsatisfied. If communication issues persist, replace your attorney. It’s your legal right to switch attorneys if necessary.
Are There Any Specific Laws in Del City That Affect Personal Injury Claims Differently Than in Other Parts of Oklahoma?
Not really, but make sure the defendant in your case is not a city bus or a governmental entity. The Oklahoma Governmental Tort Claims Act imposes specific deadlines for filing claims against governmental entities. For claims involving personal injury or property damage, a written notice must be given to the appropriate government agency within one year of the incident. Failure to provide timely notice may result in the claim being barred. Additionally, a lawsuit may not be filed unless the claim has been denied or 90 days have lapsed since the claim was made. The deadline to file a lawsuit is only 180 days after the claim was denied.
What Is the Average Cost of Hiring a Personal Injury Attorney in Del City, Oklahoma?
Contingency fees are the most common way attorneys handle personal injury cases. The attorney’s fee depends, or is “contingent,” on the case outcome. If the client wins or receives a settlement, the attorney receives a percentage of the awarded amount. If the client loses, they are not responsible for paying the attorney’s fees. However, the contingency fee does not cover other case expenses. This arrangement allows individuals to afford legal representation and motivates attorneys to work hard on the case. The average contingency fee in Del City is between 33 to 40%.
Get a Free Case Consultation Today
Please get in contact with us to review your case. We’ll give you a full, no-strings-attached assessment of your case.