What Happens if Someone Dies in a Car Accident?

Clayton T. Hasbrook

Written by Clayton T. Hasbrook. Last modified on February 20, 2024

Office Information
Hasbrook & Hasbrook
400 N Walker Ave #130, Oklahoma City, OK

Nothing could be more devastating than losing a spouse or family member to a fatal car accident in Oklahoma, mainly if the other driver’s careless actions caused the crash. Depending on your relationship with the victim, it may be possible for you to file a lawsuit on their behalf – not only to obtain compensation but, even more importantly, a sense of closure, accountability, and justice for your loss. Oklahoma law provides a pathway for survivors to seek justice, closure, and compensation. This process, though complex, is a critical step towards acknowledging the value of the lost life and the suffering of those left behind.

Legal Rights in Oklahoma for Filing a Wrongful Death Claimmeeting with a wrongful death lawyer

Not every individual affected by the loss of a loved one in a car accident has the right to initiate a wrongful death lawsuit under Okla. Stat. § 12-1053, this responsibility falls to the personal representative of the deceased’s estate. This individual acts on behalf of the decedent and any heirs or beneficiaries. It is also vital to act within the legal time frame specified by the statute of limitations, which, in Oklahoma, requires that the lawsuit be filed within two years from the date of death. While dealing with grief, it’s important to consider beginning the legal process sooner rather than later to ensure ample time for building a solid case. Delaying action can risk losing the opportunity for legal recourse.

Compensation for the Bereaved Family in Oklahoma

In wrongful death cases, the law distinguishes between damages sought for the decedent and damages sought for the surviving family members. Oklahoma law, as outlined in Okla. Stat. § 12-1053 allows for the recovery of several types of damages, including:

  • Burial and medical expenses are awarded to those who bore these costs.
  • Compensation for the grief and loss of companionship suffered by the decedent’s parents and children and for the grief and loss of consortium experienced by the surviving spouse.
  • Compensation for the decedent’s mental pain and anguish before death, awarded to the children and spouse or next of kin if no spouse or children survive.
  • Financial losses to the survivors are calculated based on the decedent’s age, occupation, earning capacity, health habits, and probable lifespan.

Additionally, the statute recognizes the potential for punitive damages in cases of extreme misconduct by the defendant. Survivors need to understand that civil lawsuits for wrongful death are distinct from any criminal proceedings that may relate to the accident. Even if no criminal charges are filed, the survivors have the right to pursue civil action.

FAQs About Fatal Car Accidents in Oklahoma

Who is eligible to file a wrongful death lawsuit in Oklahoma?

In Oklahoma, the personal representative of the deceased’s estate is the only individual authorized to file a wrongful death lawsuit. This person represents the interests of the decedent and any heirs or beneficiaries.

The deadline to file the lawsuit is called the "statute of limitations"What is the statute of limitations for filing a wrongful death claim in Oklahoma?

The statute of limitations for filing a wrongful death claim in Oklahoma is two years from the date of the deceased’s death. Initiating legal proceedings within this timeframe is critical to preserve the right to seek compensation.

What damages can be recovered in a wrongful death lawsuit in Oklahoma?

Damages in a wrongful death lawsuit can include burial and medical expenses, compensation for grief and loss of companionship, mental pain and anguish of the decedent, and various financial losses to the survivors. Punitive damages may also be awarded in cases of egregious misconduct.

Can punitive damages be sought in Oklahoma wrongful death cases?

Yes, Oklahoma law allows for the recovery of punitive damages in wrongful death cases where the defendant’s actions were exceptionally reckless or egregious. These damages are intended to punish the wrongdoer and deter similar conduct in the future.

How are wrongful death damages divided among the survivors?

The judge in a wrongful death case will determine the appropriate division of compensation among the decedent’s surviving loved ones based on the specifics of the case and the types of damages awarded.

Is a wrongful death lawsuit separate from criminal charges?

Yes, a wrongful death lawsuit is a civil action that is entirely separate from any criminal proceedings related to the accident. Survivors have the right to pursue a wrongful death claim even if no criminal charges are filed.

Can a wrongful death claim be filed if the deceased was pregnant?

Oklahoma law specifically includes provisions for the death of an unborn child in wrongful death cases. This applies when a pregnant accident victim loses her developing baby due to traumatic injuries.


This page has been written, edited, and reviewed by a team of legal writers following our comprehensive editorial guidelines. This page was approved by Founding Partner, Clayton T. Hasbrook who has years of legal experience as a personal injury lawyer. Our last modified date shows when this page was last reviewed.