If you’ve been involved in a hit-and-run crash in Oklahoma City, you might be feeling overwhelmed and unsure of what to do next. Knowing whether you need a lawyer can be crucial in such situations. Hasbrook & Hasbrook specializes in hit-and-run accident cases and is here to guide you through this challenging time.
A hit-and-run driver can cause severe damage, both to your property and physical health. Fortunately, you don’t need to face hit-and-run crashes on your own. Our Oklahoma City hit-and-run accident lawyer can help you secure compensation for your medical bills through personal injury claims. We can pursue the other driver and even negotiate with your own insurance company.
Learn more about what to do when a driver feels a motor vehicle accident scene. Then, contact us to schedule a free consultation.
- Overview of Oklahoma City Laws Regarding Hit and Run Accidents
- Reasons Drivers Flee the Scene of an Accident
- Importance of Consulting With an Attorney
- Immediate Steps To Take After a Hit and Run
- Potential Legal Consequences for the Perpetrator
- Identifying the Perpetrator
- Insurance and Compensation
- Time Limits and Statute of Limitations for Hit and Run Cases in Oklahoma City
- When To Consider Hiring a Lawyer
- How Hasbrook & Hasbrook Can Help With Your Hit and Run Case in Oklahoma City
- Contact Our Experienced Oklahoma City Car Accident Lawyer at Hasbrook & Hasbrook for Help Today
Overview of Oklahoma City Laws Regarding Hit and Run Accidents
Oklahoma City laws take hit-and-run accidents very seriously. If a driver escapes the scene of an accident without providing necessary information, that is illegal. Hasbrook & Hasbrook is well-versed in these laws. We use this knowledge to advocate for your rights and secure the compensation you deserve.
Drivers involved in a car accident have to stop, exchange information, and help the injured. Not taking this step can lead to severe legal consequences. Our team investigates whether all legal requirements were followed in your case. We use violations of these laws to fight for each hit-and-run victim.
Reasons Drivers Flee the Scene of an Accident
- Fear of legal consequences: Drivers might flee the scene if they fear being arrested or facing legal charges.
- Lack of insurance: Uninsured drivers often leave the scene to avoid financial responsibility.
- Driving under the influence: Drivers who are intoxicated or under the influence of drugs may panic and flee.
- Outstanding warrants or illegal activities: Drivers with warrants or who are involved in illegal activities often choose to escape.
- Panic or confusion: Sometimes, drivers panic or become confused and leave without thinking.
- Belief of no damage or injury: Drivers might mistakenly believe there is no significant damage or injury, leading them to leave.
- Avoiding responsibility: Some drivers want to avoid taking responsibility for their actions.
Importance of Consulting With an Attorney
Consulting with an attorney after a hit-and-run in Oklahoma City is essential. An experienced lawyer can provide crucial guidance and support. Hasbrook & Hasbrook offers expert advice on how to handle your case. We work to protect your rights and help you navigate the complex legal system.
Understanding Your Rights
Understanding your rights after a hit and run is crucial. Our attorneys explain your legal options and rights. We ensure you understand the process and what to expect. Our goal is to make the legal journey less daunting for you.
Our team helps you understand each step of the legal process. We provide clear explanations and guidance. Our support aims to make the process as smooth as possible for you.
Navigating the Legal Process
Going through the legal process after a hit-and-run requires expertise. Hasbrook & Hasbrook guides you through each step. From filing a police report to pursuing a legal claim, we are with you all the way. Our experience in such cases is invaluable in handling your case effectively.
The legal process can involve interactions with law enforcement, insurance companies, and possibly the courts. Our team manages these interactions for you. We manage all the legal complexities, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
Immediate Steps To Take After a Hit and Run
A. Contacting Law Enforcement
Reporting the crash to the police is crucial. It creates an official paper trail of the accident. Detailed information about the accident helps the investigation. If possible, describe the vehicle and driver. Law enforcement begins their investigation based on your report. This can be key to finding the perpetrator. Your police report is vital for your insurance claim and any legal action.
B. Seeking Medical Attention
Addressing immediate injuries is essential. Even if you feel fine, some injuries appear later. Medical treatment provides documentation of your injuries. This is crucial for any compensation claim. Documenting medical treatment helps establish the impact of the accident. It’s important for proving damages. Keep all medical records and receipts. They are important evidence for your case.
Potential Legal Consequences for the Perpetrator
A. Criminal Charges
Fleeing the scene of a collision can result in criminal charges. This is especially true if the accident caused injury or death. The severity of charges varies based on the accident’s circumstances. It can range from misdemeanors to felonies. Prosecution of hit-and-run drivers is a priority in Oklahoma City. Law enforcement actively investigates these incidents. A conviction can trigger fines, prison time, and a criminal record. This is apart from any civil liabilities they might face.
B. Civil Liability
Apart from criminal charges, perpetrators can face civil liability. This includes compensation for damages and injuries caused. Civil liability covers medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. It may also include punitive damages in some situations. Victims can commence a civil lawsuit against the perpetrator. This is separate from any criminal proceedings. Hasbrook & Hasbrook assists victims in pursuing civil claims. We work to ensure that perpetrators are held financially responsible.
Identifying the Perpetrator
A. Gathering Evidence at the Scene
Collecting evidence at the scene is crucial for identifying the perpetrator. This includes photos, debris, or paint from the fleeing vehicle. Witness statements can provide valuable information. They might have seen the car or even captured it on camera. Footage from surveillance cameras in homes and businesses in the area is crucial. It can provide a visual record of the accident and the fleeing vehicle. Any physical evidence left behind can help identify the vehicle or driver. This can include parts of the vehicle or tire marks.
B. Reporting Information to Law Enforcement
Giving a detailed description of the car and driver is crucial. This helps law enforcement in their search. Collaborating with investigators can expedite the process. Your cooperation and information can be vital. Updating law enforcement with any new information helps. If you remember additional details later, inform the police. Law enforcement uses your information to track down the perpetrator. Your report is the starting point of their investigation.
Insurance and Compensation
Dealing with insurance after a hit and run in Oklahoma City can be complex. Hasbrook & Hasbrook guides you through the insurance process. We help you understand your coverage and rights. Our team works to ensure you receive fair compensation from insurance companies.
Notifying Your Insurance Company
Reporting the hit-and-run incident to your insurance company is essential. It initiates the claim process. Understanding your coverage options is crucial. This includes knowing what your policy covers in hit-and-run scenarios. Your insurance company will investigate the claim. We assist you in providing the necessary information and documentation. It’s crucial to know your rights when dealing with insurance. Our team ensures that your insurance company treats you fairly.
Seeking Compensation Through Uninsured Motorist Coverage
Uninsured motorist coverage can provide compensation in hit-and-run cases. It covers you when the perpetrator is unidentified or uninsured. There are specific steps involved in filing a claim with your insurance provider. We guide you through this process to ensure a smooth claim experience. Understanding how uninsured motorist coverage works is essential. We explain the nuances of this coverage and how it applies to your case. Our team assists in gathering evidence to support your uninsured motorist claim. This includes medical records, police reports, and other documentation.
Time Limits and Statute of Limitations for Hit and Run Cases in Oklahoma City
A. Reporting Deadlines for Hit and Run Incidents
It is important to report a hit-and-run to law enforcement as soon as possible. Quick reporting increases the chances of identifying the perpetrator. There are specific deadlines for reporting accidents in Oklahoma City. We help you meet these deadlines to ensure your case proceeds smoothly. Timely reporting is also crucial for your insurance claim. It’s part of fulfilling your policy’s requirements. Hasbrook & Hasbrook guides you in meeting all reporting deadlines. We ensure that your legal and insurance obligations are met promptly.
B. Statute of Limitations for Legal Actions
The statute of limitations places the time limits for claims following hit-and-run crashes. Typically, you have two years to file a claim. Our team ensures that all legal actions are taken within the required time limits. We protect your right to seek compensation.
When To Consider Hiring a Lawyer
- Complex Cases: Hit-and-run cases can be complicated, especially when the perpetrator is unidentified. Legal guidance is crucial in such scenarios.
- Challenges in Identifying the Perpetrator: Legal expertise becomes essential if finding the perpetrator is difficult. A lawyer can help gather evidence and work with law enforcement.
- Dealing with Insurance: Insurance companies can be challenging to deal with. A lawyer can help negotiate fair compensation.
How Hasbrook & Hasbrook Can Help With Your Hit and Run Case in Oklahoma City
- We provide expert legal consultation to understand your case. This includes evaluating the details of the hit and run.
- Our team gathers and analyzes evidence to build a strong case. We leave no stone unturned in investigating the incident.
- Hasbrook & Hasbrook assists in all communications with insurance companies. We negotiate on your behalf to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
- We offer comprehensive legal representation in court if necessary. Our attorneys are prepared to advocate for you throughout the trial process.
- Our team guides you through the legal process, explaining each step and decision. We ensure that you understand and are comfortable with our legal strategies.
- We are dedicated to supporting you throughout your case. Our commitment is to your well-being and securing the best possible outcome. We have the case results and client testimonials to prove it.
Contact Our Experienced Oklahoma City Car Accident Lawyer at Hasbrook & Hasbrook for Help Today
If you’ve been the victim of a hit-and-run accident in Oklahoma City, Hasbrook & Hasbrook is here to help. Our proficient team of car accident lawyers can help you get the compensation you deserve. Don’t navigate this challenging time alone. Let us guide you through the legal process and advocate for your best interests.
Contact us today for a free consultation. We’ll discuss your case, answer your questions, and provide guidance during this difficult time. Call us now to take the first step towards justice and recovery for your hit-and-run accident.