Oklahoma City Car Accident Frequently Asked Questions

Clayton T. Hasbrook

Written by Clayton T. Hasbrook. Last modified on February 20, 2024

Office Information
Hasbrook & Hasbrook
400 N Walker Ave #130, Oklahoma City, OK

Oklahoma City car accident frequently asked questions

Car accidents in Oklahoma City can be overwhelming, leaving you with many questions about what to do next. Understanding your rights and the steps to take following an accident is crucial for protecting yourself legally and financially. These frequently asked questions cover essential topics to help you navigate the aftermath of a car accident. From determining fault to seeking compensation, this guide aims to provide clear and helpful answers.

At Hasbrook & Hasbrook, our Oklahoma personal injury attorneys can help you file a personal injury claim that could recover compensation for your medical bills after an auto accident. It is normal to have questions after a car crash, so learn more below. Then, contact us to schedule a free consultation with our personal injury attorney to help recover compensation for your medical treatment. It would be our honor to help you during this difficult time.

How Do I Determine Who Is At Fault in a Car Accident?

Determining fault in a car accident can be complex. It usually involves determining who violated traffic laws or acted negligently. The police report, witness statements, and evidence from the scene play key roles in determining fault. Insurance companies will also try to assess fault on their own.

In some cases, fault may be shared between drivers. Oklahoma’s comparative negligence law means that each driver’s level of fault will affect the compensation they receive. It’s important to gather as much evidence as possible to establish fault accurately. A lawyer can help interpret this evidence and advocate on your behalf. We have experience with countless personal injury cases and can help you. Reach out to us today to speak to a member of our team.

Can I Claim Compensation for a Minor Car Accident?

Can I claim compensation for a minor car accident

You can claim compensation for a minor car accident in Oklahoma City. Even minor accidents can result in property damage and personal injuries that deserve compensation. Documenting all aspects of the accident and any expenses is important. This documentation will be crucial in making your claim, and you will need it to support any financial compensation that you request.

You might be eligible for different types of compensation, such as repairs to your vehicle and medical expenses. Even if injuries seem minor, they can lead to larger medical issues over time. Therefore, it’s important not to downplay the accident’s impact and seek appropriate compensation. We can help you ensure that your rights are protected.

What Forms of Damages Can I Recover After a Car Accident?

These include medical expenses, property damage, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Medical expenses cover both immediate treatment and any ongoing care needed. We can help you maximize the compensation you recover.

Lost wages are another essential aspect, especially if your injuries prevent you from working. Pain and suffering compensation covers the physical and emotional distress caused by the accident. In severe cases, you may also be entitled to punitive damages if the other driver’s conduct was particularly reckless.

How Long Do I Have to File a Car Accident Claim in Oklahoma?

How long do I have to file a car accident claim in Oklahoma

In Oklahoma, the statute of limitations for filing a car crash claim is generally two years from the accident date. This means you have two years to file a claim for any injuries or damages sustained. It’s essential to start this process as soon as possible to ensure that your rights are protected.

Should I Accept an Insurance Company’s Settlement Offer?

Be cautious before agreeing to a settlement offer from an insurance company. These initial offers are often lower than what you may actually be entitled to. It’s essential to fully understand the extent of your damages and injuries before agreeing to any settlement. An attorney can help assess the offer’s fairness.

What If the Other Driver Was Uninsured or Underinsured?

If the other driver in an accident is uninsured or underinsured, it can make it harder to collect compensation. However, you may still have options. Your own insurance policy might have uninsured motorist coverage, which can help cover your losses. Always check your insurance policy to understand your coverage.

Legal assistance is crucial in these situations. A lawyer can explore alternative avenues for compensation, including potential legal action against the at-fault driver.

How Is Pain and Suffering Calculated in Car Accident Cases?

How is pain and suffering calculated in car accident cases

Pain and suffering in car accident cases are calculated based on the severity and impact of your injuries. This includes physical pain, emotional distress, and any decrease in quality of life. The calculation often considers the nature of the injury, the expected recovery time, and how the injury affects your daily life.

There is no precise formula for calculating pain and suffering. Each case is unique, and various factors are considered. An experienced lawyer can help quantify these damages and ensure that they are fairly represented in any compensation claim.

What Should I Do If I’m Involved in a Hit-and-Run Accident?

If you’re involved in a hit-and-run accident, try to gather as much information as possible about the fleeing vehicle, such as the make, model, color, and any portion of the license plate. Immediately call the police to report the crash.

The importance of gathering evidence from the scene and any witnesses cannot be overstated. Your insurance policy may provide coverage even without the other driver’s information. You should read the details of your policy to learn more.

Can I Claim for Emotional Distress After a Car Accident?

Yes, you can claim emotional distress after a car accident. Emotional distress is another option for compensation that includes anxiety, depression, PTSD, and loss of enjoyment of life. Documenting your emotional state after an accident is essential, and seeking professional medical advice can provide evidence of your distress.

A lawyer can help prove emotional distress and include it in your compensation claim. They can guide you in collecting the right documentation and expert information to bolster your claim. Emotional distress is a significant part of your recovery process and should be addressed in your claim.

How Does Comparative Negligence Affect My Car Accident Claim?

Comparative negligence in Oklahoma affects how compensation is awarded in car accident claims. If you are partially blamed for the accident, your compensation will be cut by your percentage of fault. For example, if you’re found to be 25% at fault, your compensation will be dropped by 25%.

Understanding comparative negligence is crucial for your claim. A lawyer can help argue against unfair fault assessments and work to minimize your percentage of fault. This ensures that you receive the fairest possible compensation for your damages.

Contact Hasbrook & Hasbrook for a Free Consultation With Our Car Accident Lawyer

Contact Hasbrook & Hasbrook for a free consultation with our car accident lawyer

If you’ve been involved in a car accident in Oklahoma City, Hasbrook & Hasbrook is here to assist you. We offer personalized, compassionate legal support tailored to your specific needs. We know there is a lot of stress at the accident scene, but with your accident report and medical records, we can strive for a fair personal injury settlement on your behalf.

Don’t face the aftermath of a car accident alone. Contact Hasbrook & Hasbrook for a free consultation with our expert car accident lawyers. We’ll evaluate your case, advise you on the best course of action, and fight for the compensation you deserve.

Remember, time is crucial in car accident cases, so don’t hesitate to reach out for the legal help you need.

Oklahoma City Car Accident Frequently Asked Questions Resources

We serve people who have been injured or wronged by the actions of others. As personal injury attorneys, we choose to represent people instead of corporations and insurance companies.


This page has been written, edited, and reviewed by a team of legal writers following our comprehensive editorial guidelines. This page was approved by Founding Partner, Clayton T. Hasbrook who has years of legal experience as a personal injury lawyer. Our last modified date shows when this page was last reviewed.